Asphalt shingles are the most popular roofing type because of its relatively low cost and easy maintenance. What most homeowners don’t know is that they come in many variations, some of which are not even distinguishable by the untrained eye.
The two most common types of asphalt shingle roofing are three-tab shingles and architectural shingle roofing. Below is a breakdown of each.
Architectural Shingle Roofing
- One of the architectural shingles’ biggest appeals is that they come in various shapes and sizes, so there is not a uniform or standard look.
- They have a guarantee of at least 30 years.
- Can easily mimic the look of more premium roofing alternatives like cedar or slate, at a fraction of the cost.
- More durable than three-tab shingle roofing because of its thickness. This also makes it less likely to curl.
- The thickness also makes it heavier, which must be taken into consideration in terms of whether the home’s structure can manage the weight.
- Architectural shingles are the more expensive of the two, but your investment will last longer.
Three-tab Shingle Roofing
- While architectural shingles offer variety, three-tab shingles only come in one size and shape.
- Three-tab shingles present a really affordable roofing option and is the less expensive option of the two.
- They don’t fair very well in terms of durability, especially because they are much less thick than architectural shingles, so will likely have to be repaired or replaced often.
- Since they are made of less material, three-tab shingles are more lightweight, which could be a necessity for certain home structures that can’t bear heavy roof weight.
Require any roofing services?
Saafeld Construction Roofing is the number one roofing contractor in Omaha, NE. We offer quality commercial roof repair, roofing installation and replacement Contact Saafeld Construction Roofing today for all your roofing needs